Meadow Haven Horse Rescue began on 5 acres in Bandera, Texas, expanded to some additional rented acreage there and then moved to Medina, Texas, in 2005. Each expansion was made in an effort to make room for the many abused, unwanted, abandoned and surrendered horses that were in need of a safe haven.
Horses come to the rescue for a variety of reasons, but more recently it has been due to our struggling economy. Many people try unsuccessfully to sell their animals in a depressed market or are forced to surrender their horses because they have lost their jobs and cannot afford the escalating costs of boarding or feed. Others simply abandon them or stop their care and feeding.
- Assistance to the local sheriff’s department for cruelty and abandonment cases.
- A safe haven for all who enter, and an alternative to auction or slaughter.
- Shelter, rehabilitation, and behavioral training.
- A home to horses surrendered by owners who are no longer able to provide adequate care for them.
- Adoption services with applicant screening.
- A painless end for those, due to illness or injury, comfort can no longer be assured.
- Education and promotion of responsible ownership.
- Special programs for Girl and Boy Scouts and other youth organizations.
Call Meadow Haven for help and your donated horse or donkey will be given the opportunity for a loving, permanent home and you may be entitled to a tax credit. Meadow Haven provides Rescue, Shelter, Rehab and Adoption services, as well as horsemanship and compassionate care lessons.
This non-profit organization has been established for over 8 years. In July 2008, Darla Cherry of Sweet Cherry Ranch came to Meadow Haven. After adopting several horses herself and helping to place some others, she offered to take over the rescue. The rescue operation has moved to its new, permanent location in Nixon, Texas.
Sweet Cherry Ranch will share its facility with Meadow Haven Rescue and will be accepting horses and continuing to run as a non-profit organization under its new Director, Darla Cherry. Meadow Haven will carry on to be there “for the horses” and looks forward to helping all that need it.
Federal Tax ID (EIN): 06-1667945
Board of Directors
Darla Cherry, President
Todd Cherry, Vice President
Diane Davis, Secretary
Remember, we rely on your loving donations to survive.
If you would like information on how you can donate a horse or help one in need, or are interested in horsemanship, please contact Darla at (830) 305-9031 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We welcome visitors but you will need to make an appointment since we cannot guarantee we will be in to greet you.